GSM Tours and Fields Trips in 2013
The following field trips and tours were offered by the Geological Society of Minnesota in 2013:
Randy Strobel and Joanie Furlong planned and led 17 members and guests on an 8-day trip to the Mojave National Preserve and Death Valley National Park in southern California March 9 through 17. Here are the preliminary itinerary that we used and the Google Maps trip route. Field trip photos:
- Day 1: Teutonia Peak in Mojave Preserve; Nipton, CA;
- Day 2: Mojave Preserve: Mid Hills campground views; Hole-in-the-Wall;
- Day 3: Mojave Preserve: trilobite hunt; Amboy Crater; Kelso Sand Dunes;
- Day 4: Shoshone, CA area; talc mine; China Ranch; southern Death Valley NP;
- Day 5: Death Valley: Badwater Basin; Artists Drive; Zabriskie Pt; Dantes View
- Day 6: Death Valley: Borax Mus.; Salt Creek; Ubehebe Crater; Mosaic Cabyon;
- Day 7: Mesquite Flats; Father Crowley Point; Searles Dry Lake; Trona Pinnacles;
- Day 8: Maturango Mus.; Red Rock Canyon; ghost town; U. S. Borax open pit;
- Scottie’s Castle.
Bill Robbins organized a bus field trip to Northern Minnesota centered on the Ely area. Around 30 members and guests participated in this trip which ran from June 14 through 16. Here are the itinerary we used and photos from this trip.
In addition, while the following was not a GSM trip, six GSM members participated in a Chautauqua to Iceland May 5 through May 14. See the Winter 2013 and Spring 2014 Newsletters for Dave Wilhelm’s reports on this trip. Google Maps trip route is here. Photos:
- Day 1: Reykjavik: Hallgrímskirkja; waterfront; Harpa concert hall; Tjörnin;
- Day 2: Reykjavik walking tour; Icelandic horses; Einar Jónsson sculpture garden;
- Day 3: Reykjavik: waterfront; botanical garden; Perlan; Rauðhólar Craters;
- Day 4: Hellisheiði Power Plant; Kerið crater; Gullfoss waterfall; Haukadalur Valley; Thingvellir Rift Valley;
- Day 5: south along Ring Road: Eyjafjallajökull Volcano; Seljalandsfoss & Skogafoss waterfalls; Solheimajokull glacier; Dyrhólahey shingle & ash beach;
- Day 6: northwest along Ring Road: cinder cones; hot springs; waterfalls; fjords; home of our Icelandic guide;
- Day 7: Reykjanes Peninsula: Leif the Lucky's Bridge, Eldey Island, Gunnuhver, Krýsuvík, Blue Lagoon; Seltjarnarnes township west of Reykjavík;
- Day 8: Heimaey Island (Westman Islands), incl. 1973 eruption of Eldfell;
- Day 9: small plane tour of southern Iceland; whale watching tour.
For information on upcoming Chautauquas, contact George Miner at firstname.lastname@example.org .