Skip to main content

GSM BOARD MEETING MINUTES OCTOBER 22, 2009 6:00PM @MN GEOLOGIC SURVEY


GSM BOARD MEETING MINUTES    OCTOBER 22, 2009      6:00PM @MN GEOLOGIC SURVEY

 

PRESENT:  Ly Preece, Dick Bottenberg, Harvey Thorleifson, Ed Steffner, Sandy Steffner, Paul Jansen, Janet Hopper, Theresa Tweet, Steve Erickson, Doug Zbikowski.

The Meeting was called to order by Ly Preece, President, with a quorum present.  The minutes of the August 27 Board meeting were reviewed and approved with motions by Harvey and Ed.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  PAUL J.

Totals as of 9/30/09:  Operating Funds (unrestricted net assets) $9,648.86.  Checking Account Balance  $2,736.81.  Total Restricted and unrestricted net assets $ 29,041.20.                                  

The income identified this month was $1595.00 from membership dues and $680.00 from the sale of rock boxes. Expenses included $200.00 printing and $553.22 for the state fair.

Treasurer’s report was approved with motions by Ed and Sandy.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:  STEVE E.

Steve reports problems with construction at the Hydro lab at St Anthony Falls.  He requested cancelling the upcoming field trip Nov 7th until an April date.  The board agreed and will assist with announcements at the lectures and sending emails to the membership to notify of the cancellation.

Steve also voiced concern for lower attendance at the first two lectures. 65 attended the first meeting and 52 the second.  He sought feedback from the board to identify if there were problems with the selection of topics/speakers. A discussion followed with the board voicing approval of the speakers and encouraging more follow through with advertising to schools and the libraries. 

PUBLIC SERVICE:  DOUG Z.

Doug requested funds for printing more 2010 Lecture schedules for continuing distribution to the libraries and schools and rock clubs.  Providing advertising to all these venues has proven to increase our attendance in the past and our supply of printed material has already been exhausted with membership and the State Fair.  Ed S. moved to print 1500 more schedules or $120.00 for distribution, with Paul J. seconding. Board approved the motion.

Doug completed more rock boxes with 10 people showing up to assist.

 

MARKER PROJECT: ED S.

Ed S. showed videos of he and Doug at Flood Bay where Pete Morales (stone carver) assisted  with the installation of the marker. Ed reported 4 of the 7 sites have been completed. Split Rock Lighthouse, Gooseberry, Flood Bay, Frontenak are done –

 5th is Beaver Creek Valley, 6th Mc Carthy Beach , both to be done by the end of the  month. The 7th marker will be at Interstate, but will not be completed until the construction at the park is completed in the Spring.  Ed planning to report a marker financial account and  to prepare appreciation letters with Theresa Tweet for all those who assisted with the installations of this project.  Ed still needs to complete the final report with a cover letter and pictures to Britta Bloomberg at the MHS.  Discussed what to do with the old Gooseberry Falls plaque. The plaque weighs 30-60# and will possibly be saved and stored for display at the State Fair.

FIELD TRIP COMMITTEE:  JANET H.

The committee is hoping to have a longer summer field trip next year.  Discussions and some research for potential  studies in  Montana or New Mexico  did not work out. They will continue to look for possibilities.

INTERNET COMMITTEE:  LY P.

Ly is proposing a meeting on Saturday October 31 @ 1:00pm at the Mpls Library for instruction of how to use the new GSM website.  The committee is hoping to have each committee chair be able to update the website/calendar with notes, dates, field trip info, and even minutes of meetings. The Newsletter can possibly be scanned for the website – all data entered without everyone having to go through Alan Smith.  He stated all files need to be transferred to the server now. They are linking our GSM website to the MN Geology website, rather than duplicating all their information. There will be changing of some wording on our site- separate calendars to “Event Calendars”.

Harvey T. reported that he will start to promote the website in his emails while communicating  with the GSA.  He encouraged another Town Hall meeting for promoting our website and updating status of all groups involved.

Harvey also reported that GSA will have their convention in Minnesota in 2011. That means 8000 geologists will be coming to town.  The update of our website is timely and will advertise our- “Earth Science Knowledge for people of Minnesota and the role of GSM with MGS, Science Museum, & Bell Museum”.

 

RECOGNITION COMMITTEE:  DICK B.

Dick reported they were unable to use the Minnetonka Community Center as previously planned, due to money being handled for the Auction before the recognition dinner. He requested suggestions and several people will check their churches or VFW or K of C Halls.  The dates will continue to be mid January for this Recognition event. Theresa T. has been looking into mugs with some personalization on them and found it is a busy time for crafters and is getting a poor response to inquiries. Theresa is also working on the auction – is developing the format with the help of one found on line.  Contributions of rocks, minerals, maps will be encouraged for the auction. Dick will accept and house the donations in his garage. Harvey will seek out maps from the GSM.

 Requests will also be made at the lectures for who could be the Outstanding Members to be recognized this year. The Board will review those nominated by the members. The plan is for Rock Hammers to be engraved and presented at the dinner. 

NOMINATING COMMITTEE:  LY P.

Ly reported that Anita Hall was not interested when asked to be on the board. There were 3 seats to fill for next year with 2 people being nominated and 1 position still open.

NEW BUSINESS :

Discussion of Randy Strobel  proposing a “Movie Night “ at his home and the decision was that he could  privately extend invites to his party without formal advertising.

 

The Meeting was adjourned @8:10PM with Paul J. motioning and Ed S. seconding.

 The next Board meeting will be on December 5, 2009, Saturday at Ed and Sandy S. home @ 3:00 PM with the Annual Pot Luck Christmas Party  following at 5:00PM.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Sandy Steffner, Secretary