Skip to main content

MINUTES OF GSM BOARD MEETING December 10, 2006

MINUTES OF GSM BOARD MEETING

                        December 10, 2006

 

Present: Board Members: Roger Benepe, Janet Hopper, Dorothy Kuether, Ed and Sandra Steffner,

      others: Randy Strobel, Ly Preece, Joann Furlong, Steve Erickson, Doug Zbikowski, Alan Smith, Katy Paul'

                Kathy Ahlers

Meeting was called to order by President Roger Benepe 1. Minutes of Sept 11, 2006 were approved as stands (Janet moved, Sandy

seconded)

 

2. Treasurer's Report: were approved as presented (moved by Dorothy, Roger seconded)

      Ed complimented field trip leaders on money handling

 

3.Committees:

A. PROGRAMS - Steve discussed past and future programs. Ideas presented for future programs: CO2, pollution, global warming, fossils, current research,  People suggested for speakers: Ian Williams, Carrie Jennings on Lake Pepin system, Bob Johnson Honeywell engineer. Steve proposed a combined lecture/lab at Macalester.-1/2 would hear lecture while other

1/2 labed.

 

B. MEMBERSHIP - Katy reported 97 members. She will send postcards to non renewing people

 

C. NEWSLETTER - Kathy Ahlers wants member contributions. For next issue these would be due by Jan 20; next issue Feb 15

 

 D. SHOWS & EXHIBITS - no report

 

E. FIELD TRIPS - a planning meeting Feb 24, 10 am.  Randy offered to lead a trip Geology of Minnehaha Falls;  suggestion of trip for lower St Paul

 

F. PUBLIC SERVICE - Doug reported on Split Rock Marker; he is going to MN legislature to get a bill that will fund all new markers. working on an interactive educational CD rom; this info could be added to our web site Doug suggested a flyer in libraries giving general information. Doug will make this so can be in libraries in January; will have a program insert.

Motion for $125 for flyers approved (Dorothy made, Janet seconded)

 

G. SCHOOL OUTREACH - Doug - some have been requested, none done. Doug gave the history: the boxes were made 12 years ago; intended for 4th, 8th grade. There are about 50 left (in his garage). He will bring them to meetings, give them to teachers and people who will get them to schools with a goal of giving 50 by spring.

 

H. VIDEO LIBRARY - Randy is purchasing DVDs. He asked about copying programs from PBS and Discovery Channel. the problem with that is that new equipment comes so fast.

Steve suggested that UM professors be able to use our loan library without fee (no action taken)

 

I. HISTORY & ARCHIVES - no report

 

J. INTERNET - Alan keeping updated

 

4. OLD BUSINESS

A. STATUS OF SPLIT ROCK MARKER - discussed in F. Public Service

 

B. POLICY & PROCEDURES HANDBOOKS - Doug is doing them

 

C. STATE FAIR BOOTH - concerns about Bruce G's activities.promoting his boxes for sale at the Fair.  Steve talked with Bruce. Bruce understands the situation so no further action is needed.  If we get a citation from the State Fair for this, a letter will be sent to Bruce. Bruce has not member for 2 years. We need to have members manning the booth.

 

D. MAP - program for training board members. Doug is going, will report back

 

5.NEW BUSINESS

A. SCIENCE SUMMIT? - Theresa Tweet is the contact. It was felt this less useful tan the one at Science Museum but will keep in touch with them

 

B. OTHER

 1. Kathy Ahlers - the Mississippi Branch Library has room for a display.

Doug will do this

       Kathy would like board meetings set up for a year. general feeling was not to for just 4 meetings per year

 

 2. Steve asked for ideas for lecture series - see programs above

      Steve suggested doubling honorarium to professors or UM for student school presentations (no action)  3. NEW OFFICERS:  Janet Hopper - President

                   Ly Preece       - Vice President

                   Randy Strobe - Secretary

                   Ed Steffner      - Treasurer

 MEETING ADJOURNED

 

Secretary - Dorothy Kuether