Skip to main content

MINUTES OF GSM BOARD MEETING JULY 15, 2006

MINUTES OF GSM BOARD MEETING  JULY 15, 2006

 

Board members present: Roger Benepe, Kate Hintz, Dorothy Kuether, Ed & Sandra Steffner, Janet Hopper Others present: Doug Zbikowski, Bill Robbins, Kathy Ahlers

 

Information given about Gail Marshall who became ill while camping at Jay

Cooke Park July 4, is seriously ill in Duluth hospital;   Ted Chura who

recently had prostate cancer surgery

 

Meeting called to order by president Roger Benepe 10:17

 

1. Minutes of April 8 meeting  - change that Doug Z asked people to review their areas, he will compile changes for the board to review - approved with change  (All are asked to review your area for next board

meeting)

 

2. Treasurer's  Report - As of April 8, our balance is $11,317.14 - Motion to Approve by Kate, seconded by Janet, all approved

 

3. Committee Reports

A. PROGRAMS - Steve sent message that program is pretty much done

     1. Doug's concerns  a) Runestone lecture: this is about history and language, not geology. Discussion followed , Because of concerns, Roger will talk to Scott Wolter (presenter) about doing the agate lecture but not the one on Runestone (Scott had indicated that he wanted to do two or

none)  (Doug knows a person who would replace the Runestone lecture with one on Global Warming)

      b) The lecture on Tornadoes on January 29: would it be all meteorology or include the geology of tornadoes. Bill R. will talk to Todd, presenter, about that

      Bill needs titles and presenters for State Fair handout and current yearbook so above must be done soon

      c) board had not approved the program schedule. Dorothy moved we approve the schedule with change for October 23 lecture and discussion of January 29 lecture. Kate seconded, all approved. Roger & Bill will report at the next board meeting

 

B. MEMBERSHIP & DIRECTORY - Nominating committee report - Randy Strobel and Joan Furlond have agreed to serve on board,  Kathy  Ahlers agreed at meeting to be 3rd candidate

      Discussion about change in directory. Bill asked if we want a member list only directory (not include the history, mission etc) What cut off date for inclusion in directory? Cut off date for  name inclusion in directory will be Nov. 1.  If-when have a name only directory, we could have a single publucation of history, mission etc to give to new members. Board members and committees can be in the newsletter. Decision to think about this until next board meeting

 

C. NEWSLETTER - deadline is today

 

D. SHOWS & EXHIBITS - State Fair is arranged, people have signed for most time slots

 

E. FIELD TRIPS - a tentative trip to NE Iowa - has been arranged but trouble reaching leader. If resolved, a flyer will be sent out

 

F. PUBLIC SERVICE - Doug - Rehabing the geology markers. 16 need updating the information. Phase 1 is ddone, phase 2 stopped after 9-11. the design drawings are done. Doug's congressman was will to write a bill to get it finished but has dropped out of reelection . Kathy suggested finding collaboraters as these markers have educational import so connect to school interests. Doug will talk to other legislators

 

G. SCHOOL OUTREACH - we need more presenters; suggestion that we talk to 2nd year U students. The presenters talk at schools, are paid by the school

 

H. VIDEO LIBRARY  - no report

 

I. HISTORY 7 ARCHIVES - no report

 

J. INTERNET - Steve sent word that it going slowly as he has a new job.

Suggestion was made that we look into recruiting a U student

 

4 OLD BUSINESS

  A. Status of Split Rock Marker - discussed  under Public Service

  B. Guideline Notebooks - PLEASE REVIEW YOUR AREA, SEND IDEAS AND CHANGE SUGGESTIONS TO DOUG SO HE CAN COMPILE THEM FOR THE NEXT BOARD MEETING

 

5. NEW BUSINESS -  ideas for meetings

 a) on contraversial subjects, have a discussional panel = 2-3 people with opposing views (subjects as Runestone, Global Warming, Oil drilling)

 b) how fit in more topics - members who would like to present, short term opportunities as when someone is in town ( travel expenses already paid, could fit in one more talk)

 

Roger will reserve banquet space with "demand" that we pay as enter, drinks included

 

NEXT MEETING - SEPT. 18,  7 pm at Dorothy's party room

 

Meeting Adjourned