The Geological Society of Minnesota is a public-spirited, nonprofit
organization that has been in operation since 1938. Our ongoing
mission has been to promote public interest and supply educational
support in the geological sciences. We do this by: sponsoring free
lectures and labs at the University of Minnesota, conducting
statewide and regional field trips, holding classroom presentations
for schools, maintaining a media library, publishing relevant
information for public distribution, and maintaining and expanding
upon a series of geological markers located throughout the state.
The Geological Society of Minnesota reaches out to all people who
have an interest in deepening and broadening their understanding
of the earth sciences.
* To be recognized as an organization with a perpetual commitment
to increasing public knowledge of and appreciation for the
* To actively promote public exposure to geological knowledge through
the time and energy of our membership.
* To appreciate and celebrate the diversity of our membership, and
to use its shared richness to enhance and strengthen our
* To actively promote collaboration with associate organizations that
share similar goals and educational objectives.
* To responsibly and effectively manage our finances.
* To fairly balance the needs of our organization with the enjoyment
of our members, by creating volunteer opportunities respectful of
time, family, and friendship.